I’ve recently returned from holidays in Edinburgh and Oslo and have a lot of travel coming up over the next few months, so I’ve just gone through my cosmetic bag and switched out a few things for the warmer days ahead. I thought I would share what I like to consider my summer travel essentials. These are the products I’ll take with me regardless of where I go.
To make life easier, I like to have my travel essentials packed in my hand baggage, at the ready. This way, I can just grab my bag and go with minimal fuss. Because, let’s face it, traveling can be stressful. I’m all for anything that can make it a more pleasant experience.
I have a list of items that I always bring with me regardless of where I’m going. My favorite products tend to lean to the luxurious side. To my mind, a little bit of luxury is always a good thing and can make a world of difference.
- By Terry Baume de Rose – up until recently I would take a little pot with me, but now that the crayon has come out, I’ve made the switch.
- La Mer Face Mist – My skin just drinks this up. It doesn’t have a strong smell, so you can mist your face with abandon and you won’t offend anyone around you. Plus, this mist just feels so good on the skin.
- Hand wipes or sanitizer – In addition to using them to clean my hands I also use them to wipe my tray table down.
- La Mer Hand cream – I squeeze a tiny bit into a small pot so I don’t have to haul around a big tube.
- Eve Lom Cleanser and Face Cloth – I have a travel size tub that I refill when needed. I like to be able to cleanse my face on long haul flights so I can reapply my moisturizer and eye cream.
- By Terry Moisturizer and Eye Cream
- Sunscreen – You should wear sunscreen on your face when flying if you like window seats.
Not being one for wearing makeup when I fly, what I like to do is give my skin an extra dose of moisture instead. Otherwise, I dry out terribly. I usually slather on a ton of moisturizer, eye and hand cream just before flying and I use my mist throughout the flight. I also drink lots of water and avoid alcohol. It’s hard sometimes when the champagne is being handed out or the beverage cart is going by, but I never regret it in the end.
I recently purchased this cosmetic bag from Yves Delorme. It holds everything I need and there’s room to spare. And its super soft. But what sold me on it was the fact that its machine washable.
- Cashmere wrap – My wrap from Garnet Hill is several years old. It’s a workhorse disguised as a luxury product. I use this wrap exclusively when flying. It’s soft, warm and can be draped over the shoulders. When folded, it can be used as a small pillow. It’s been dry cleaned several times and it always comes back looking new. It never sheds or pills. I cannot say enough good things about this wrap. I travel with it year round.
- Eye Mask – I switched to this Olivia Von Halle eye mask recently for overnight flights because the one I had previously been using had grown a little worse for wear. This one is silk and won’t tug on your skin, which I like. Anything to prevent wrinkles!
- Slippers – To me, there is no better feeling than being able to take my shoes for long haul flights. I am so much more comfortable that way. I love to be barefoot but that’s a huge no-no on a plane (even though I’ve seen plenty) so these are a nice alternative to dirty looks from surrounding passengers. These are super comfortable, inexpensive and washable.
- Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones – A life changing product. Even if you don’t them to listen to music or movies, they are fabulous for just drowning out the noise around you.
- Eyeglasses and sunglasses
- A Novella – I usually download tv shows or movies to my phone to binge on when I travel but when I want to take a technology break I have my novella
- Phone and charger cord
- Water – I like to pick up a bottle or two after going through security so I can stay hydrated and not have to constantly bother the flight attendants.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- WelleCo The Elixir Protein Power – I have a love affair going with this product to begin with, so when I saw the pre-measured sachets, I thought keeping a few of these in my carry on could save me from making unhealthy choices.
And while I haven’t been able to master the art of packing light when it comes to my actual clothing, shoes and accessories, my hand baggage is another story. Something lightweight that can hold my essentials is paramount. For years now I’ve been happy with my Longchamp Le Pliage. It’s not fancy but it works beautifully for my needs. I just cannot get behind spending a fortune for a bag that will only going to sit on the floor of a plane that is likely to be sticky or gross. The Le Pliage is able to contain everything I need to make my flight a little more enjoyable.
Are there any products or routines that you swear by when traveling? I’d love to hear about them! Feel free to drop your comments and suggestions below.
Cheers and happy traveling!